Sunday, June 13, 2010

In just a few days my family will be off on adventures in different parts of the world.

Italy and Germany for me! (more on that later) AND New Mexico for Scott Chase and Hayes.

I will start by telling you about the New Mexico trip. Hayes and his Scout troop will be backpacking in the mountains of New Mexico at Philmont Ranch. Scott will be going as a Dad and Chase will be going as an Eagle Scout and Hayes as Crew Leader.

To go to this ranch you have to make a reservation. A few years ago when Chase and Scott went for the first time this was the process. The phone line reservation is only open ONE DAY a YEAR. You give the phone number to friends, secretaries, neighbors, everyone you know. IFfffff someone gets through, they make a reservation for Hampton Cove troop and...... that is your reservation for TWO YEARS FROM THAT DATE.
Some of the reservation process has changed but to say the least this is A TRIP that has been PLANNED for A LONG TIME!!!!
Planning for this means training. The guys have been on 5, 10 and 20 mile hikes in a days time here locally. Also they put on their backpacks and walk on the treadmill with boots on so they are use to carrying the weight. You have to log in so many miles before you can fly out there to the Ranch.



We have had a slight problem. {{{Houston we have a problem.}}} Two weeks ago on a one day 20 mile hike, Scott wore Hayes' size 8 boots. After mile 15 he realized the boots were not wet and needing stretching, but rather THEY WERE THE WRONG BOOTS. So they sat down on the trail and traded boots. Hayes his size 8 and Scott the correct boots-Size 9 1/2.
Here lies the problem. His big toe nail was so damaged he had to have minor surgery and have his toe nail removed. OUCH! Bandaged and hoping to heal within a week and a half he is now out of his boot cast and hopefully will be able to wear a few band aids to get his boot on. This might seem like it is not a big deal, but to wear hiking boots for over 2 weeks everyday going several miles in the mountains does present a problem. Please pray for no infection along the trail.


Houston we have another problem....... Last Saturday I got a text from Chase (who is working in DC this summer). "Mom, I am OK, but I am in the ER in Washington" Well that text can send a Mom into a mild panic. He fell and hit his head on the corner of a table causing a bad bleeding head injury to the back of his head. His roommates called the EMT and they arrived and drove him to George Washington Emergency Room. After the bleeding stopped he had staples put in the back of his head. When he left the ER he called to say he was "OK, really Mom, I'm OK really. No I don't feel dizzy. Yes the doctor said to come back in a week to have the staples removed. No you don't need to fly to DC, I am fine Mom REALLY!" Well ok is all I could utter.
Now that I know you are OK, tell me how this happened at 2:30 in the afternoon on a Saturday in your dorm room Chase. Pause...... Well, pause...... I know I am going to regret telling you this, but I tripped on some clothes that were on the floor. See some friends and I were in a hurry to go out and I tripped on some clothes-also my laundry cleaning bag was on the floor (and you know how slick the nylon bags are) and (they have that draw string ) and (I was wearing flip flops) and......
Uh Hmmmm-hasn't your Mother always told you to pick up those clothes off your floor??????
Well, we will give him a little bit of a hard time but OH ARE WE SO THANKFUL TO GOD that our Chase is OK . It could have been worse.

So now, Hayes......stay well and safe! You have to take care of your Dad and your big brother on this trip.

They leave at the end of this week. I know they will have a great time in the nature that abounds in the mountains, hiking, filtering their water from the stream, pitching their own tents, eating similar things to Army rations, building campfires, and NO SHOWERS for days!!!!!!!

WELL, I will just say, they are actually so excited about this 3 week trip.... and I am glad it is them and not ME.



Happy trails,


Kathy

No comments:

Post a Comment